Located in the western region of Uganda, Mbarara city is the business center for most of the districts in southwestern Uganda.
Mbarara was founded in 1901 as an urban center, granted township in 1957, became a municipality in 1974 and became a city and started operating on 1st July 2020.
Mbarara city is one of the rapidly growing cities in Uganda with great investments. The City is such an important transport hub for western Uganda, lying west of Masaka on the road to Kabale, just a few Kilometers from Lake Mburo National Park.
This is about 270 kilometers (168 mi), by road, southwest of Kampala, Uganda’s capital and oldest city. The coordinates of the Mbarara central business district are 00 36 48S, 30 39 30E (Latitude:-0.6132; Longitude: 30.6582). The city lies at an average elevation of about 1,147 meters (3,763 ft) above sea level.
Not only is it the 2nd largest city, but Mbarara as well comes 2nd in national importance in terms of investments, infrastructural development in the country.
Mbarara city has got one of the best industries in Uganda and these include Nile breweries Mbarara, century bottling company limited Mbarara – manufactures and distributors of Coca Cola products, Mbarara steel plant -owned and operated by the China machine-building internal corporate.
Tourist attractions in Mbarara City
- Lake Mburo National Park – the park has a great variety of wildlife to watch among which include the leopards, lions, a great number of antelopes, Buffalos, among others. It’s one of Uganda’s finest parks to do a wildlife safari.
- Igongo Cultural Center – offers exciting moments about the western Uganda culture (Banyakitara culture), with cultural performances and traditional foods. Cultural tales are also done and there is an amazing cultural display of Ankole culture in Igongo Museum.
- Country Cinema Theater – Breath of freshness, different program from the usual bars, perfect for groups, lousy popcorn.
Transport used in Mbarara City
- Public taxis
- Special hire
- Buses and coasters
- Planes from Kajjansi airstrip or Entebbe Airport
Accommodation and Dining
- Asamar Country Restaurant
- Palace Motel Mbarara
- GKAT Resort
- Rwampara Suites
- Hotel Serena
- Hotel B Plus