Fort portal city is among Uganda’s most thrilling tourist destinations located in the Kabarole district in western Uganda.
The city is most popular for the famous Toro Kingdom, one of the outstanding cultures in the country for the Batoro people speaking the Rutoro language. The city lies at the foothills of the Rwenzori mountain ranges, this makes it a place of beautiful endowments.
Fort Portal derived its name from the British special commissioner Sir Gerald Herbert Portal who visited Uganda in 1892 to establish whether Uganda should become a British Protectorate. When Portal visited Uganda, he went to western Uganda and was based here to undertake his tasks.
The city attained its City status in July 2020 as the Ugandan parliament declared it among the list of Cities approved to start operating. The city boasts of being the only city in the country with an English name.
Fort Portal city is a lovable city, just with a rolling landscape that holds many attractive features. The port portal is located about 50km from Kasese district northern and 26km Kibale National park.
It’s the only city amidst various protected areas particularly National Parks and these are Queen Elizabeth National Park, Kibale National Park, Mt. Rwenzori National Park, and semuliki National Park.
Tourism Attractions in Fort Portal City
- The city is a gateway for many tourism destinations and attractions among which include;
- Crater Lake, at the outskirts of Fort Portal, is a chain of the beautiful Crater Lake. Visiting the lakes gives a phenomenon hiking experience.
- The Toro Kingdom Karuzika Palace, the official kingdom palace and home to Oyo Nyimba Kabamba Iguru Rukidi IV, palaces shine on the Kabalore hill in the city center.
- Amabere Ganyinamwiru Caves – Limestone rocks, scientifically known as stalagmites and stalactites are a great scenic feature with an astonishing fairy-tale behind their existence.
- The two local markets i.e. Mpanga Market in the city center and Kabndaire Food Market.
- Reaching fort portal from Kampala their various transport means one can use, as well there various transport means used with the city center.
- Busses – from Kampala capital there are various bus companies one can use to reach the Fort Portal
- Public Taxis
- Plane – boarding a chartered plane to Kasese airstrip
- Can hire a car for self-drive
- Even use a tour operator.
Where to stay in Fort Portal
There is worry about where to stay when in Fort Portal, there are quite a number of accommodation facilities which as well provide dining and bar service.
Should also not worry about the class of accommodation as accommodation here range to 3star with descent world-class services include;
- Lake Kifurka Eco Lodge
- Kyaninga Lodge
- Jerusalem Paradise
- Dutchess Hotel and Restaurant
- Kluges Guest Farm
- Fort Height Homestead
- Papaya Lake Lodge
- Westend Motel
- Kluges Guest Farm